The Apex Town Council will soon appoint a new member to serve as temporary At-Large Town Councilmember through December 2023.
On Friday, January 6th, the Apex Town Council will hold a special meeting to conduct interviews, and hold a public hearing to receive feedback on four candidates. The meeting will begin at 2:30 pm, held on the 3rd Floor of Apex Town Hall, located at 73 Hunter Street.
The full meeting, including candidate interviews, the public hearing, and Council deliberations, will be open to the public. Members of the public are invited to attend in-person, or view the livestream on the Town’s YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/TownofApexGov.
Two opportunities are available for residents to provide comment:
- Written Statements: Written comments can be submitted to Town Clerk Allen Coleman; P.O. Box 250; Apex, North Carolina, 27502 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Council Candidate Interviews – Written Comments” and include your first and last name, your physical address, and your phone number in your written statements. Written comments will be accepted until noon on Friday, January 6th. All written statements received prior to the deadline will be provided to the Mayor and Town Councilmembers, and made available for public inspection. Please note, written comments will not be read aloud during the public hearing portion of the meeting.
- In-Person: Members of the public may sign up to speak during the public hearing portion of the special meeting on Friday, January 6, 2023. The signup sheet will be posted at 2:00 pm on the 3rd Floor at Apex Town Hall, located at 73 Hunter Street. Individual comments are limited to three minutes. Pursuant to the adopted Public Forum and Public Hearing Participation Policy, the public hearing portion of the meeting may not exceed 36 minutes or 12 individual speakers whichever comes first.
Below is the agenda for the meeting on January 6, 2023. Interview times for each candidate were determined by a random drawing that was conducted on January 3rd.
- Call to Order
- 2:30 pm – Arno Zegerman Interview
- 3:15 pm – John Marshall Barnes III Interview
- 4:00 pm – Shagufta Hakeem Interview
- 4:45 pm – Tayon Dancy Interview
- 5:30 pm – Public Hearing
- Council Deliberations
Each candidate’s application and resume may be viewed in person in the Town Clerk’s Office located at 73 Hunter Street in Apex between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, or online at: https://www.apexnc.org/1727/At-Large-Council-Vacancy
On Tuesday, November 29, 2022, the Apex Town Council voted to accept Councilmember Cheryl Stallings resignation and initiate the selection process. Council unanimously voted to adopted a policy and process timeline for appointing a candidate to fill the unexpired term.
The application period began at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday, November 30, 2022 and ended at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 9, 2022. The Town Clerk’s Office in partnership with the Town’s Communications’ Department advertised the vacancy using a variety of platforms including the Town’s website, social media, and local news media.
A total of 34 completed applications were received for the temporary seat vacated by Cheryl Stallings, who was recently elected to serve on the Wake County Board of Commissioners. Of the 34 applications, three did not meet the eligibility requirements set by the Apex Town Council.
Each member of the Town Council, including the Mayor, submitted nominations for up to seven candidates to be interviewed. In order for a candidate to move forward to the interview phase, they were required to receive a majority (three or more) nominations. On Friday, December 16, 2022, the official nomination record was released and four candidates were identified to move forward to the interview phase.
According to North Carolina General Statutes § 160A-63 and the Apex Town Code of Ordinances, the Apex Town Council has the authority to appoint a qualified individual to fill Stallings unexpired term until residents have the opportunity to elect a successor in the 2023 Apex municipal elections.
Questions about the selection process should be directed to the Town Clerk Allen Coleman via email email@example.com, by phone at (919) 249-1260, or in-person at 73 Hunter Street, Apex, NC 27502.
Allen Coleman, Town Clerk to the Town Council, (919) 249-1260, firstname.lastname@example.org
Stacie Galloway, Communications Director, (919) 249-1135, email@example.com